The research issues for women at UTS report (2004) identified issues that limit women's participation in research such as the:
- impact of family responsibilities,
- lack of networking opportunities,
- balancing teaching and research commitments,
- lack of representation on research committees, and
- lack of mentors to assist/guide them through their research careers.
In 2005 UTS established an early career women researchers (ECR) program to respond to those issues. The program is guided by an early career women researchers advisory group.
Throughout the year there are early career women researchers forums and activities.